Search Mah Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Apple Fritters

We are Getting Healthy. Tomorrow.

Which means today I made apple fritters.

There is this coffee shop down the street that makes apple fritters so good your mouth falls off your face when you take a bite. And everyone on Pinterest was pinning pictures of droolicious apple fritter bites, so I decided to take a whack at them, even though we're Getting Healthy and even though we don't own any proper frying equipment.

They were... okay. Not as sweet and apple-ly as traditional fritters. They were lumpy, because I wasn't sure what the texture of the batter should be. They got overdone because I couldn't regulate the temperature of my oil very well. The texture was okay and the glaze wasn't right.

The lighting in the kitchen wasn't right when I took the picture, so they kind of look like meatballs with rice poking out of them... or something.

But they were still apple fritters, so we still committed to eating them. We each had like 4? Or 5? They're about the size of quarter gumballs you get in restaurant candy machines. They weren't bad, they just weren't the apple fritters of my dreams. The recipe I followed is here, if you want to try them, though this hasn't exactly been a ringing endorsement. I'll take credit for a lot of the okay-ness of these, because I lack the proper equipment and know-how for this kind of attempt. But despite that, the recipe itself was lacking in apple-ness. If you decide to make this, I'd suggest stewing the apples before putting them in the batter. That should help. I'd also suggest looking around online at a few more recipes to see what other people are including that this recipe is not.

I'll try them again sometime, but definitely only after reading up from someone who knows what they're doing.

No comments: